50 U.S.C. § 2532 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 50. War and National Defense § 2532. Manufacturing infrastructure for refabrication and certification of nuclear weapons stockpile
Search U.S. Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Manufacturing program
(1) The Secretary of Energy shall carry out a program for purposes of establishing within the Government a manufacturing infrastructure that has the capabilities of meeting the following objectives as specified in the Nuclear Posture Review:
(A) To provide a stockpile surveillance engineering base.
(B) To refabricate and certify weapon components and types in the enduring nuclear weapons stockpile, as necessary.
(C) To fabricate and certify new nuclear warheads, as necessary.
(D) To support nuclear weapons.
(E) To supply sufficient tritium in support of nuclear weapons to ensure an upload hedge in the event circumstances require.
(2) The purpose of the program carried out under paragraph (1) shall also be to develop manufacturing capabilities and capacities necessary to meet the requirements specified in the annual Nuclear Weapons Stockpile Memorandum.
(b) Required capabilities
The manufacturing infrastructure established under the program under subsection (a) shall include the following capabilities (modernized to attain the objectives referred to in that subsection):
(1) The weapons assembly capabilities of the Pantex Plant.
(2) The weapon secondary fabrication capabilities of the Y-12 Plant, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
(3) The capabilities of the Savannah River Site relating to tritium recycling and fissile materials components processing and fabrication.
(4) The non-nuclear component capabilities of the Kansas City Plant.
(c) Nuclear Posture Review
For purposes of subsection (a), the term “Nuclear Posture Review” means the Department of Defense Nuclear Posture Review as contained in the Report of the Secretary of Defense to the President and Congress dated February 19, 1995, or subsequent such reports.
(d), (e) Pub.L. 112-239
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 50 U.S.C. § 2532 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 50. War and National Defense § 2532. Manufacturing infrastructure for refabrication and certification of nuclear weapons stockpile - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-50-war-and-national-defense/50-usc-sect-2532/
Was this helpful?