49 U.S.C. § 41706 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 41706. Prohibitions against smoking on passenger flights
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search U.S. Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Smoking prohibition in interstate and intrastate air transportation. --An individual may not smoke--
(1) in an aircraft in scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation; or
(2) in an aircraft in nonscheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation, if a flight attendant is a required crewmember on the aircraft (as determined by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration).
(b) Smoking prohibition in foreign air transportation.--The Secretary of Transportation shall require all air carriers and foreign air carriers to prohibit smoking--
(1) in an aircraft in scheduled passenger foreign air transportation; and
(2) in an aircraft in nonscheduled passenger foreign air transportation, if a flight attendant is a required crewmember on the aircraft (as determined by the Administrator or a foreign government).
(c) Limitation on applicability.--
(1) In general.--If a foreign government objects to the application of subsection (b) on the basis that subsection (b) provides for an extraterritorial application of the laws of the United States, the Secretary shall waive the application of subsection (b) to a foreign air carrier licensed by that foreign government at such time as an alternative prohibition negotiated under paragraph (2) becomes effective and is enforced by the Secretary.
(2) Alternative prohibition.--If, pursuant to paragraph (1), a foreign government objects to the prohibition under subsection (b), the Secretary shall enter into bilateral negotiations with the objecting foreign government to provide for an alternative smoking prohibition.
(d) Regulations.--The Secretary shall prescribe such regulations as are necessary to carry out this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 49 U.S.C. § 41706 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 41706. Prohibitions against smoking on passenger flights - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-49-transportation/49-usc-sect-41706/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?