49 U.S.C. § 31132 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 31132. Definitions
Search U.S. Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
In this subchapter--
(1) “commercial motor vehicle” means a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property, if the vehicle--
(A) has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds, whichever is greater;
(B) is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;
(C) is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(2) “employee” means an operator of a commercial motor vehicle (including an independent contractor when operating a commercial motor vehicle), a mechanic, a freight handler, or an individual not an employer, who--
(A) directly affects commercial motor vehicle safety in the course of employment; and
(B) is not an employee of the United States Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State acting in the course of the employment by the Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State.
(A) means a person engaged in a business affecting interstate commerce that owns or leases a commercial motor vehicle in connection with that business, or assigns an employee to operate it; but
(B) does not include the Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State.
(4) “interstate commerce” means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States between a place in a State and--
(A) a place outside that State (including a place outside the United States); or
(B) another place in the same State through another State or through a place outside the United States.
(5) “intrastate commerce” means trade, traffic, or transportation in a State that is not interstate commerce.
(6) ‘medical examiner” means an individual licensed, certified, or registered in accordance with regulations issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration as a medical examiner.
(7) “regulation” includes a standard or order.
(9) “State law” includes a law enacted by a political subdivision of a State.
(10) “State regulation” includes a regulation prescribed by a political subdivision of a State.
(11) “United States” means the States of the United States and the District of Columbia.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 49 U.S.C. § 31132 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 31132. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-49-transportation/49-usc-sect-31132/
Was this helpful?