Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In general
The Architect of the Capitol--
(1) shall develop, update, and implement a cost-effective energy conservation and management plan (referred to in this section as the “plan”) for all facilities administered by Congress (referred to in this section as “congressional buildings”) to meet the energy performance requirements for Federal buildings established under section 8253(a)(1) of this title; and
(2) shall submit the plan to Congress, not later than 180 days after August 8, 2005.
(b) Plan requirements
The plan shall include--
(1) a description of the life cycle cost analysis used to determine the cost-effectiveness of proposed energy efficiency projects;
(2) a schedule of energy surveys to ensure complete surveys of all congressional buildings every 5 years to determine the cost and payback period of energy and water conservation measures;
(3) a strategy for installation of life cycle cost-effective energy and water conservation measures;
(4) the results of a study of the costs and benefits of installation of submetering in congressional buildings; and
(5) information packages and “how-to” guides for each Member and employing authority of Congress that detail simple, cost-effective methods to save energy and taxpayer dollars in the workplace.
(c) Annual report
The Architect of the Capitol shall submit to Congress annually a report on congressional energy management and conservation programs required under this section that describes in detail--
(1) energy expenditures and savings estimates for each facility;
(2) energy management and conservation projects; and
(3) future priorities to ensure compliance with this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 42 U.S.C. § 8259a - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 42. The Public Health and Welfare § 8259a. Energy and water savings measures in congressional buildings - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-42-the-public-health-and-welfare/42-usc-sect-8259a/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.