Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In general
The President shall designate, within the Department of State, a coordinator who shall be responsible for--
(1) designing an overall strategy to advance United States interests in Afghanistan;
(2) ensuring program and policy coordination among agencies of the United States Government in carrying out the policies set forth in this subchapter;
(3) pursuing coordination with other countries and international organizations with respect to assistance to Afghanistan;
(4) ensuring that United States assistance programs for Afghanistan are consistent with this subchapter;
(5) ensuring proper management, implementation, and oversight by agencies responsible for assistance programs for Afghanistan; and
(6) resolving policy and program disputes among United States Government agencies with respect to United States assistance for Afghanistan.
(b) Rank and status of the coordinator
The coordinator designated under subsection (a) of this section shall have the rank and status of ambassador.
(c) Assistance plan
(1) Submission to Congress
The coordinator designated under subsection (a) of this section shall annually submit the Afghanistan assistance plan of the Administration to--
(A) the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate;
(B) the Committee on International Relations of the House of Representatives;
(C) the Committee on Appropriations of the Senate; and
(D) the Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives.
The assistance plan submitted under paragraph (1) shall describe--
(A) how the plan relates to the strategy provided pursuant to section 7554 of this title; and
(B) how the plan builds upon United States assistance provided to Afghanistan since 2001.
(d) Coordination with international community
(1) In general
The coordinator designated under subsection (a) of this section shall work with the international community and the Government of Afghanistan to ensure that assistance to Afghanistan is implemented in a coherent, consistent, and efficient manner to prevent duplication and waste.
(2) International financial institutions
The coordinator designated under subsection (a) of this section, under the direction of the Secretary of State, shall work through the Secretary of the Treasury and the United States Executive Directors at the international financial institutions (as defined in section 262r(c)(2) of this title) to coordinate United States assistance for Afghanistan with international financial institutions.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 22 U.S.C. § 7514 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 22. Foreign Relations and Intercourse § 7514. Coordination of assistance - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-22-foreign-relations-and-intercourse/22-usc-sect-7514/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.