Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) “Position” and “employee” defined
Notwithstanding paragraphs (2) and (3) of section 3651 of this title, as used in this section--
(1) “position” means a civilian position; and
(2) “employee” means an individual serving in a position in the Department of Defense whose permanent duty station is in the area which, before October 1, 1979, was known as the Canal Zone.
(b) Covered employees
Under regulations prescribed by or under authority of the President, the Department of Defense may grant a quarters allowance in the case of--
(1) any employee who is a citizen of the United States and who, before October 1, 1979, was employed by the Panama Canal Company, the Canal Zone Government, or any other agency, in the area then known as the Canal Zone; and
(2) any other employee who is a citizen of the United States and who (before, on, or after the effective date of this section) is or was recruited within the United States;
for whom adequate Government owned or leased quarters are not made available.
(c) Determination of amount
The amount of any quarters allowance granted to an employee under this section shall be determined in accordance with the regulations prescribed under subsection (b) of this section, except that such allowance for any period may not exceed the amount, if any, by which--
(1) the lesser of--
(A) the actual expenses for rent and utilities incurred by the employee during such period while occupying quarters other than Government owned or leased quarters; or
(B) the maximum amount which would be authorized for such employee with respect to such period under the Department of State Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas) if such employee were covered by those regulations;
(2) the estimated total cost of rent and utilities which the employee would have been charged if Government owned or leased quarters had been provided on a rental basis during such period.
(d) section 3652(b)
The provisions of this section shall apply without regard to whether any election by the Department of Defense under section 3652(b) of this title is then in effect.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 22 U.S.C. § 3657a - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 22. Foreign Relations and Intercourse § 3657a. Quarters allowances - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-22-foreign-relations-and-intercourse/22-usc-sect-3657a/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.