Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In general
The Director, subject to the policy advice of the Museum and Library Services Board, may enter into arrangements, including grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, and other forms of assistance, with museums, States, local governments, and other entities as the Director considers appropriate, to pay the Federal share of the cost of--
(1) supporting museums in providing learning and access to collections, information, and educational resources in a variety of formats (including exhibitions, programs, publications, and websites) for individuals of all ages;
(2) supporting museums in building learning partnerships with the Nation's schools and developing museum resources and programs in support of State and local school curricula;
(3) supporting the conservation and preservation of museum collections, including efforts to--
(A) provide optimal conditions for storage, exhibition, and use;
(B) prepare for and respond to disasters and emergency situations;
(C) establish endowments for conservation; and
(D) train museum staff in collections care;
(4) supporting efforts at the State level to leverage museum resources, including statewide assessments of museum services and needs and development of State plans to improve and maximize museum services through the State;
(5) stimulating greater collaboration, in order to share resources and strengthen communities, among museums and--
(C) international, Federal, State, regional, and local agencies or organizations;
(D) nongovernmental organizations; and
(E) other community organizations;
(6) encouraging the use of new technologies and media, including new ways to disseminate information, to enhance access to museum collections, programs, and services;
(7) supporting museums in providing services to people of diverse geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds and to individuals with disabilities;
(8) supporting museums in developing and carrying out specialized programs for specific segments of the public, such as programs for urban neighborhoods, rural areas, Indian reservations, and State institutions;
(9) supporting professional development and technical assistance programs to enhance museum operations, and the skills of museum staff, at all levels, and to support the development of the next generation of museum leaders and professionals, in order to ensure the highest standards in all aspects of museum operations;
(10) supporting museums in research, program evaluation, and the collection and dissemination of information to museum professionals and the public; and
(11) encouraging, supporting, and disseminating model programs of museum and library collaboration.
(b) Federal share
(1) 50 percent
Except as provided in paragraph (2), the Federal share described in subsection (a) of this section shall be not more than 50 percent.
(2) Greater than 50 percent
The Director may use not more than 20 percent of the funds made available under this subchapter for a fiscal year to enter into arrangements under subsection (a) of this section for which the Federal share may be greater than 50 percent.
(3) Operational expenses
No funds for operational expenses may be provided under this section to any entity that is not a museum.
(c) Review and evaluation
(1) In general
The Director shall establish procedures for reviewing and evaluating arrangements described in subsection (a) of this section entered into under this subchapter.
(2) Grant distribution
In awarding grants, the Director shall take into consideration the equitable distribution of grants to museums of various types and sizes and to different geographic areas of the United States 1
(3) Applications for technical assistance
(A) In general
The Director may use not more than 10 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out this subchapter for technical assistance.
(B) Individual museums
Individual museums may receive not more than 3 technical assistance awards under subparagraph (A). Subsequent awards for technical assistance shall be subject to review outside the Institute.
(d) Services for Native Americans
From amounts appropriated under section 9176 of this title, the Director shall reserve 1.75 percent to award grants to, or enter into contracts or cooperative agreements with, Indian tribes and organizations that primarily serve and represent Native Hawaiians (as defined in section 7517 of this title), to enable such tribes and organizations to carry out the activities described in subsection (a) of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 20 U.S.C. § 9173 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 9173. Museum services activities - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-20-education/20-usc-sect-9173/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.