Skip to main content

20 U.S.C. § 7451 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 7451. National research activities

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)Authorized activities

The Secretary may use funds made available to carry out this subpart for each fiscal year to--

(1) conduct research related to effective approaches for the education of Indian children and adults;

(2) evaluate federally assisted education programs from which Indian children and adults may benefit;

(3) collect and analyze data on the educational status and needs of Indians;  and

(4) carry out other activities that are consistent with the purpose of this part.


The Secretary may carry out any of the activities described in subsection (a) of this section directly or through grants to, or contracts or cooperative agreements with, Indian tribes, Indian organizations, State educational agencies, local educational agencies, institutions of higher education, including Indian institutions of higher education, and other public and private agencies and institutions.


Research activities supported under this section--

(1) shall be carried out in consultation with the Institute of Education Sciences to ensure that such activities are coordinated with and enhance the research and development activities supported by the Institute;  and

(2) may include collaborative research activities that are jointly funded and carried out by the Office of Indian Education Programs, the Bureau of Indian Education, and the Institute of Education Sciences.

Cite this article: - 20 U.S.C. § 7451 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 7451. National research activities - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard