Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) An application for an original license must state the applicant's full name and place and date of birth. This information must be verified by presentation of proof of identity satisfactory to the department. An applicant who is not a citizen of the United States must present to the department documentation issued by the appropriate United States agency that authorizes the applicant to be in the United States before the applicant may be issued a driver's license. The department must accept as satisfactory proof of identity under this subsection an offender identification card or similar form of identification issued to an inmate by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice if the applicant also provides supplemental verifiable records or documents that aid in establishing identity.
(b) The application must include:
(1) the thumbprints of the applicant or, if thumbprints cannot be taken, the index fingerprints of the applicant;
(2) a photograph of the applicant;
(3) the signature of the applicant; and
(4) a brief description of the applicant.
(c) The application must state:
(1) the sex of the applicant;
(2) the residence address of the applicant, or if the applicant is a federal judge, a state judge, or the spouse of a federal or state judge using the procedure developed under Section 521.121(c), the street address of the courthouse in which the applicant or the applicant's spouse serves as a federal judge or a state judge;
(3) whether the applicant has been licensed to drive a motor vehicle before;
(4) if previously licensed, when and by what state or country;
(5) whether that license has been suspended or revoked or a license application denied;
(6) the date and reason for the suspension, revocation, or denial;
(7) whether the applicant is a citizen of the United States; and
(8) the county of residence of the applicant.
(d) If the applicant is under 21 years of age, the application must state whether the applicant has completed a driver education course required by Section 521.1601.
(d) If the applicant is under 25 years of age, the application must state whether the applicant has completed a driver education course required by Section 521.1601.
(e) Subject to Subsection (e-1), the application must include any other information the department requires to determine the applicant's identity, residency, competency, and eligibility as required by the department or state law.
(e-1) Other than a general inquiry as to whether the applicant has a mental condition that may affect the applicant's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, an application may not include an inquiry regarding the mental health of the applicant, including an inquiry as to whether the applicant has been diagnosed with, treated for, or hospitalized for a psychiatric disorder.
(f) Information supplied to the department relating to an applicant's medical history is for the confidential use of the department and may not be disclosed to any person or used as evidence in a legal proceeding other than a proceeding under Subchapter N. 1 This subsection does not apply to information provided by an applicant under Subsection (h).
(g) The department shall require an applicant to provide the applicant's social security number or proof that the applicant is not eligible for a social security number.
(h) The application must provide space for the applicant to voluntarily list any health condition that may impede communication with a peace officer as evidenced by a written statement from a licensed physician.
(i) The application must provide space for the applicant:
(1) to voluntarily list any information that may qualify the applicant to receive a license with a designation under Section 521.1235; and
(2) to include proof required by the department to determine the applicant's eligibility to receive that designation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.142. Application for Original License - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-521-142/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.