Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section,
“motorMotor vehicle years of insurance” means the total number of years or portions of years during which a motor vehicle is covered by insurance.
(b) An insurer shall pay to the authority a fee equal to $4 multiplied by the total number of motor vehicle years of insurance for insurance policies delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed by the insurer. The fee shall be paid not later than:
(1) March 1 of each year for a policy delivered, issued, or renewed from July 1 through December 31 of the previous calendar year; and
(2) August 1 of each year for a policy delivered, issued, or renewed from January 1 through June 30 of that year.
(c) The fee imposed by this section is in addition to any other fee or tax imposed by law on an insurer.
(d) The authority shall notify the Texas Department of Insurance of any insurer that fails to pay the fee required by this section, and the Texas Department of Insurance may for that reason revoke the insurer's certificate of authority.
(e) Out of each fee collected under Subsection (b):
(1) 20 percent shall be appropriated to the authority for the purposes of this chapter;
(2) 20 percent shall be deposited to the credit of the general revenue fund, to be used only for criminal justice purposes; and
(3) 60 percent shall be deposited to the credit of the designated trauma facility and emergency medical services account under Section 780.003, Health and Safety Code, to be used only for the criminal justice purpose of funding designated trauma facilities, county and regional emergency medical services, and trauma care systems that provide trauma care and emergency medical services to victims of accidents resulting from traffic offenses.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 1006.153. Fee Imposed on Insurer - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-1006-153/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.