Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section:
(1) “Child” means a person younger than 18 years of age.
(2) “Massage” has the meaning assigned to the term “massage therapy” by Section 455.001, Occupations Code.
(3) “Massage establishment” has the meaning assigned by Section 455.001, Occupations Code.
(4) “Nude” means a child who is:
(A) entirely unclothed; or
(B) clothed in a manner that leaves uncovered or visible through less than fully opaque clothing any portion of the breasts below the top of the areola of the breasts, if the child is female, or any portion of the genitals or buttocks.
(5) “Sexually oriented commercial activity” means a massage establishment, nude studio, modeling studio, love parlor, or other similar commercial enterprise the primary business of which is the offering of a service that is intended to provide sexual stimulation or sexual gratification to the customer.
(6) “Topless” means a female child clothed in a manner that leaves uncovered or visible through less than fully opaque clothing any portion of her breasts below the top of the areola.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person employs, authorizes, or induces a child to work:
(1) in a sexually oriented commercial activity; or
(2) in any place of business permitting, requesting, or requiring a child to work nude or topless.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that the offense is a felony of the first degree if the victim is younger than 14 years of age at the time the offense is committed, regardless of whether the actor knows the age of the victim 1 at the time of the offense.
(d) Conduct under this section constitutes an offense regardless of whether the actor knows the age of the victim at the time of the offense.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 43.251. Employment Harmful to Children - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-43-251/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.