Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The commission by proclamation may regulate the catching, possession, transportation, sale, and purchase for commercial purposes in this state of redfish and speckled sea trout. A proclamation issued under this section must contain findings by the commission that support the need for the proclamation.
(b) In determining whether to permit or prohibit any commercial use of redfish and speckled sea trout under Subsection (a) of this section, the commission shall consider:
(1) the availability of redfish and speckled sea trout in the coastal water of this state;
(2) the availability of redfish and speckled sea trout from sources other than the coastal water of this state;
(3) the economic interests of commercial and sports fishermen and related industries in this state;
(4) the research of the department made under Section 66.217 of this code;
(5) the protection of redfish and speckled sea trout habitat; and
(6) the degree of compliance with state law and previous regulations of the commission by fishermen and fish dealers in this state.
(c) A proclamation issued under Subsection (a) of this section may limit the number and size of redfish and speckled sea trout that may be caught, possessed, transported, sold, or purchased and may prescribe the times, places, conditions, and means and manner of catching redfish and speckled sea trout.
(d) A proclamation of the commission under this section prevails over any conflicting provision of Section 66.020 to the extent of the conflict and only during the period that the proclamation is in effect.
(e) This section does not apply to activities that are regulated under the exceptions provided by Subdivisions (1), (2), and (3) of Section 66.020(b) or under Subsections (f) and (g) of that section.
(f) A person who violates a proclamation issued under Subsection (a) is guilty of an offense and is punishable for the first and subsequent offenses by the penalties prescribed by Sections 66.2011 and 66.218.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Parks and Wildlife Code - PARKS & WILD § 66.2012. Regulation of Commercial Uses of Redfish and Speckled Sea Trout - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/parks-and-wildlife-code/parks-wild-sect-66-2012/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.