Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The commission by rule shall adopt safety standards and practices for natural gas underground storage and storage facilities. The standards and practices must:
(1) require the installation and periodic testing of safety devices;
(2) establish emergency notification procedures for the operator of a facility in the event of a release of a hazardous substance that poses a substantial risk to the public;
(3) establish fire prevention and response procedures;
(4) require training for the employees of the storage facility on the safe operation of the storage facility; and
(5) establish any other safety standard or practice that is reasonable and necessary for underground natural gas storage and the safe construction, operation, and maintenance of a storage facility.
(b) The commission may adopt different standards and practices for different types of storage facilities and may distinguish among natural gas underground storage in salt dome caverns, depleted reservoirs, and embedded salt formations.
(c) The commission may grant an exception to a standard or practice adopted under this section in a permit or amended permit issued to a storage facility if the exception will not constitute an unreasonable danger to the public.
(d) The commission may impose an additional standard or practice in a permit or amended permit issued to a storage facility.
(e) A safety standard or practice adopted by the commission for a storage facility that is part of an intrastate gas pipeline facility must be compatible with federal minimum standards.
(f) The commission shall require that records of safety device tests required by Subsection (a)(1) be:
(1) filed with the commission; or
(2) maintained by the owner or operator and made available for inspection by the commission.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Natural Resources Code - NAT RES § 91.255. Safety Standards and Practices - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/natural-resources-code/nat-res-sect-91-255/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.