Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) After consulting with the secretary of agriculture and under regulations issued under the federal Act by the secretary of the interior with the concurrence of the secretary of agriculture, the commission shall grant a permit to mine on prime farmland if:
(1) the area proposed to be mined contains prime farmland;
(2) the commission makes the findings required by Section 134.066 for the application under consideration; and
(3) the commission in addition finds in writing that:
(A) the operator has the technological capability to restore the mined area within a reasonable time to a level of yield equal to or higher than that of nonmined prime farmland in the surrounding area under equivalent levels of management; and
(B) the applicant can meet the soil reconstruction standards of the federal Act.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) a permit issued before August 3, 1977;
(2) a revision or renewal of a permit issued before August 3, 1977; or
(3) an existing surface mining operation for which a permit was issued before August 3, 1977.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Natural Resources Code - NAT RES § 134.070. Permit for Mining on Prime Farmland - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/natural-resources-code/nat-res-sect-134-070/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.