The governing body of a local government, including a commissioners court with regard
to nonelective county offices, shall:
(1) establish, promote, and support an active and continuing program for the efficient
and economical management of all local government records;
(2) cause policies and procedures to be developed for the administration of the program
under the direction of the records management officer;
(3) facilitate the creation and maintenance of local government records containing
adequate and proper documentation of the organization, functions, policies, decisions,
procedures, and essential transactions of the local government and designed to furnish
the information necessary to protect the legal and financial rights of the local government,
the state, and persons affected by the activities of the local government;
(4) facilitate the identification and preservation of local government records that
are of permanent value;
(5) facilitate the identification and protection of essential local government records;
(6) cooperate with the commission in its conduct of statewide records management surveys.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.