(a) The department shall give priority to developing model educational materials for education programs for persons younger than 18 years of age.
(b) The materials in the education programs intended for persons younger than 18 years of age must:
(1) emphasize sexual abstinence before marriage and fidelity in marriage as the expected standard in terms of public health and the most effective ways to prevent HIV infection, sexually transmitted diseases, and unwanted pregnancies; and
(2) state that homosexual conduct is not an acceptable lifestyle and is a criminal offense under Section 21.06, Penal Code .
(c) In addition, the educational materials intended for persons younger than 18 years of age must:
(1) teach that sexual activity before marriage is likely to have harmful psychological and physical consequences;
(2) teach adolescents ways to recognize and respond to unwanted physical and verbal sexual advances;
(3) teach that the use of alcohol or drugs increases a person's vulnerability to unwanted sexual advances; and
(4) emphasize the importance of attaining self-sufficiency before engaging in sexual activity.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.