Skip to main content

Texas Government Code - GOV'T § 501.102. Reentry and Reintegration Services for Wrongfully Imprisoned Persons

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., ch. 698 (H.B. 417), § 10.

(b) The department shall develop a comprehensive plan to ensure the successful reentry and reintegration of wrongfully imprisoned persons into the community following discharge from the department.  The reentry and reintegration plan developed under this section must include:

(1) life-skills, job, and vocational training for a wrongfully imprisoned person following discharge, for as long as those services are beneficial to the person;

(2) a requirement that the department provide, before a wrongfully imprisoned person is discharged from the department, the person with any documents that are necessary after discharge, including a state identification card;  and

(3) the provision of financial assistance to aid a wrongfully imprisoned person in the reentry and reintegration process and in covering living expenses following discharge, in an amount not to exceed $10,000.

(c) The provision of financial assistance under Subsection (b)(3) shall be administered by the Texas Correctional Office on Offenders with Medical or Mental Impairments or the department.

(d) The amount of financial assistance provided to a wrongfully imprisoned person under Subsection (b)(3) shall be deducted from the amount of compensation provided to the person under Section 103.052, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(e) The department may contract with private vendors or other entities to implement the comprehensive reentry and reintegration plan required by this section.

Cite this article: - Texas Government Code - GOV'T § 501.102. Reentry and Reintegration Services for Wrongfully Imprisoned Persons - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard