Skip to main content

Texas Finance Code - FIN § 158.102. Investigation of Complaints Against Registrant;  Surcharge

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) On receipt of a signed written complaint concerning a registrant by the Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending, the commissioner or the commissioner's designee:

(1) shall notify the representative designated by the registrant in the registration application in writing of the complaint and provide a copy of the complaint to the representative;

(2) may conduct an investigation with authority to access, receive, and use in the investigation any books, accounts, records, files, documents, information, or other evidence;  and

(3) may request that the registrant provide documentary and other evidence considered by the commissioner necessary to effectively evaluate the complaint, including correspondence, loan documents, and disclosures.

(b) A registrant shall promptly provide any evidence requested by the commissioner.

(c) Information obtained by the commissioner during an investigation is confidential unless disclosure of the information is permitted or required by other law or court order.  The commissioner may share information gathered during an investigation with any state or federal agency.

(d) In addition to the registration fee, the finance commission by rule may impose a complaint investigation fee on a registrant based on the costs incurred by the Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending resulting from the investigation of complaints against the registrant.

Cite this article: - Texas Finance Code - FIN § 158.102. Investigation of Complaints Against Registrant;  Surcharge - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard