Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section:
(1) “Assistive technology device” means any device, including equipment or a product system, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of a student with a disability.
(2) “Student with a disability” means a student who is eligible to participate in a school district's special education program under Section 29.003.
(3) “Transfer” means the process by which a school district that has purchased an assistive technology device may sell, lease, or loan the device for the continuing use of a student with a disability changing the school of attendance in the district or leaving the district.
(b) The agency by rule shall develop and annually disseminate standards for a school district's transfer of an assistive technology device to an entity listed in this subsection when a student with a disability using the device changes the school of attendance in the district or ceases to attend school in the district that purchased the device and the student's parents, or the student if the student has the legal capacity to enter into a contract, agrees to the transfer. The device may be transferred to:
(1) the school or school district in which the student enrolls;
(2) a state agency, including the Health and Human Services Commission, that provides services to the student following the student's graduation from high school; or
(3) the student's parents, or the student if the student has the legal capacity to enter into a contract.
(c) The standards developed under this section must include:
(1) a uniform transfer agreement to convey title to an assistive technology device and applicable warranty information;
(2) a method for computing the fair market value of an assistive technology device, including a reasonable allowance for use; and
(3) a process to obtain written consent by the student's parents, or the student where appropriate, to the transfer.
(d) This section does not alter any existing obligation under federal or state law to provide assistive technology devices to students with disabilities.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Education Code - EDUC § 30.0015. Transfer of Assistive Technology Devices - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/education-code/educ-sect-30-0015/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.