Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) If an initial application under Article 11.071 is timely filed, the convicting court may not set an execution date before:
(1) the court of criminal appeals denies relief; or
(2) if the case is filed and set for submission, the court of criminal appeals issues a mandate.
(b-1) Not later than the second business day after the date on which the convicting court enters an order setting the execution date, a copy of the order must be sent by first-class mail, e-mail, or fax to:
(1) the attorney who represented the condemned person in the most recently concluded stage of a state or federal postconviction proceeding; and
(2) the office of capital writs established under Subchapter B, Chapter 78, Government Code 1.
(b-2) The exclusive remedy for a failure to comply with Subsection (b-1) is the resetting of the execution date under this article.
(c) An execution date may not be earlier than the 91st day after the date the convicting court enters the order setting the execution date.
(d) The convicting court may modify or withdraw the order of the court setting a date for execution in a death penalty case if the court determines that additional proceedings are necessary on:
(1) a subsequent or untimely application for a writ of habeas corpus filed under Article 11.071 ; or
(2) a motion for forensic testing of DNA evidence submitted under Chapter 64.
(e) If the convicting court withdraws the order of the court setting the execution date, the court shall recall the warrant of execution. If the court modifies the order of the court setting the execution date, the court shall recall the previous warrant of execution, and the clerk of the court shall issue a new warrant.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Code of Criminal Procedure - CRIM P Art. 43.141. Scheduling of execution date; withdrawal; modification - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/code-of-criminal-procedure/crim-ptx-crim-pro-art-43-141/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.