Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
In this chapter:
(1) “Engages in a farm animal activity” means riding, handling, training, driving, loading, unloading, assisting in the medical treatment of, being a passenger on, or assisting a participant or sponsor with a farm animal. The term includes management of a show involving farm animals. The term does not include being a spectator at a farm animal activity unless the spectator is in an unauthorized area and in immediate proximity to the farm animal activity.
(2) “Equine animal” means a horse, pony, mule, donkey, or hinny.
(2-a) “Farm animal” means:
(A) an equine animal;
(B) a bovine animal;
(C) a sheep or goat;
(D) a pig or hog;
(E) a ratite, including an ostrich, rhea, or emu; or
(F) a chicken or other fowl.
(3) “Farm animal activity” means:
(A) a farm animal show, fair, competition, performance, rodeo, event, or parade that involves any farm animal;
(B) training or teaching activities involving a farm animal;
(C) boarding a farm animal, including daily care;
(D) riding, inspecting, evaluating, handling, loading, or unloading a farm animal belonging to another, without regard to whether the owner receives monetary consideration or other thing of value for the use of the farm animal or permits a prospective purchaser of the farm animal to ride, inspect, evaluate, handle, load, or unload the farm animal;
(E) informal farm animal activity, including a ride, trip, or hunt that is sponsored by a farm animal activity sponsor;
(F) placing or replacing horseshoes on an equine animal;
(G) examining or administering medical treatment to a farm animal by a veterinarian; or
(H) without regard to whether the participants are compensated, rodeos and single event competitions, including team roping, calf roping, and single steer roping.
(4) “Farm animal activity sponsor” means:
(A) a person or group who sponsors, organizes, or provides the facilities for a farm animal activity, including facilities for a pony club, 4-H club, hunt club, riding club, therapeutic riding program, or high school or college class, program, or activity, without regard to whether the person operates for profit; or
(B) an operator of, instructor at, or promoter for facilities, including a stable, clubhouse, pony ride string, fair, or arena at which a farm animal activity is held.
(5) “Farm animal professional” means a person engaged for compensation:
(A) to instruct a participant or rent to a participant a farm animal for the purpose of riding, driving, or being a passenger on the farm animal;
(B) to rent equipment or tack to a participant;
(C) to examine or administer medical treatment to a farm animal as a veterinarian; or
(D) to provide veterinarian or farrier services.
(6) “Livestock animal” means:
(A) an animal raised for human consumption; or
(B) a farm animal.
(6-a) “Livestock producer” means a person who owns, breeds, raises, or feeds livestock animals.
(7) “Livestock show” means a nonprofit event at which more than two species or breeds of livestock animals are gathered for exhibition or competition.
(8) “Livestock show sponsor” means a recognized group or association that organizes and sanctions a livestock show, including a political subdivision or nonprofit organization that is exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(a), Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, by being listed as an exempt organization in Section 501(c)(3) of that code.
(9) “Participant” means:
(A) with respect to a farm animal activity, a person who engages in the activity, without regard to whether the person is an amateur or professional or whether the person pays for the activity or participates in the activity for free; and
(B) with respect to a livestock show, a person who registers for and is allowed by a livestock show sponsor to compete in a livestock show by showing an animal on a competitive basis, or a person who assists that person.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code - CIV PRAC & REM § 87.001. Definitions - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/civil-practice-and-remedies-code/civ-prac-rem-sect-87-001/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?