(1) Promulgate rules and regulations as the commissioner deems reasonable and necessary
to effectuate the purposes of this chapter. Such rules and regulations shall be promulgated in accordance with the Uniform Administrative
Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5;
(2) Exercise general supervision over the administration and enforcement of this chapter
and all rules and regulations promulgated under this chapter;
(3) Make inspections and investigations, collect samples, carry on research, or take
such other action as may be necessary to carry out this chapter, rules and regulations
issued pursuant to this chapter, and any orders that the commissioner may issue;
(4) Enter or authorize the commissioner's agents to enter at all reasonable times
upon any property other than dwelling places for the purpose of conducting investigations
or studies or enforcing any of the provisions of this chapter;
(5) Bring suit in the name of the department for any violation of this chapter, rules
and regulations, and orders of the commissioner seeking any remedy provided in such
chapter, rules and regulations, and orders, as well as, any other statutory or common
law remedy provided in statutory or common law;
(6) Assess civil penalties for violation of any provision of this chapter or any rule,
regulation, standard adopted or order issued by the commissioner pursuant to this
(7) Issue orders as may be necessary to secure compliance with this chapter, as well
as the rules and regulations adopted pursuant to this chapter;
(8) Investigate any alleged or apparent violation of this chapter and to take any
action authorized under this chapter as the commissioner deems necessary to enforce
(9) Issue licenses as provided by this chapter;
(10) Establish standards for installation of pumps and treatment devices and establish
standards for the proper drilling, construction, maintenance, and closure by well
drillers, including, but not limited to, the casing, perforating, plugging, cementing,
and capping of wells and for maintenance of water wells and geothermal wells by well
(11) Require corrective action, including closure, of all inactive wells or improperly
constructed or maintained wells that have caused or will cause harm to ground water.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.