Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A dissolved corporation may dispose of the known claims against it by following the procedure described in this section.
(b) The dissolved corporation shall notify its known claimants in writing of the dissolution at any time after its effective date. The written notice must:
(1) Describe information that must be included in a claim;
(2) State whether the claim is admitted, or not admitted, and if admitted:
(A) The amount that is admitted, which may be as of a given date; and
(B) Any interest obligation if fixed by an instrument of indebtedness;
(3) Provide a mailing address where a claim may be sent;
(4) State the deadline, which may not be fewer than four (4) months from the effective date of the written notice, by which the dissolved corporation must receive the claim; and
(5) State that, except to the extent that any claim is admitted, the claim will be barred if written notice of the claim is not received by the deadline.
(c) A claim against the dissolved corporation is barred to the extent that it is not admitted:
(1) If the dissolved corporation delivered written notice to the claimant in accordance with subsection (b) and the claimant does not deliver a written notice of the claim to the dissolved corporation by the deadline; or
(2) If the dissolved corporation delivered written notice to the claimant that the claimant's claim is rejected, in whole or in part, and the claimant does not commence a proceeding to enforce the claim within three (3) months from the effective date of the rejection notice.
(d) For purposes of this section, “claim” does not include a contingent liability or a claim based on an event occurring after the effective date of dissolution.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Tennessee Code Title 48. Corporations and Associations § 48-24-106 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-48-corporations-and-associations/tn-code-sect-48-24-106/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.