Skip to main content

Tennessee Code Title 4. State Government § 4-38-102

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

As used in this chapter:

(1) “Absorptive capacity” is a determination made by a local government evaluating, for a host community within that jurisdiction:

(A) The capacity of the community's social service and healthcare agencies to meet the existing needs of the community's current residents;

(B) The availability of affordable housing, low-cost housing, or both, and existing waiting lists for such housing in the community;

(C) The capacity of the local school district to meet the needs of the existing or anticipated refugee student population;  and

(D) The ability of the local economy to absorb new workers without causing competition with local residents for job opportunities, displacing existing local workers, or adversely affecting the wages or working conditions of the local workforce;

(2) “Local government” or “local governments” refers to either the city council, governing body of any county having a metropolitan form of government, or county legislative body which regulates any host community being considered for refugee resettlement activity;

(3) “Tennessee office for refugees” means the state office which administers the refugee program for this state, or the entity or agency to whom the state has delegated such function and that has been designated and recognized by the federal government to administer such program;  and

(4) “Tennessee refugee coordinator” means the official designated by the Tennessee office for refugees.

Cite this article: - Tennessee Code Title 4. State Government § 4-38-102 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard