Skip to main content

Tennessee Code Title 39. Criminal Offenses § 39-17-1006

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

If the district attorney general is of the opinion that §§ 39-17-1001--39-17-1005 are being violated, the district attorney general may file a petition in a circuit, chancery or criminal court of that district relating the opinion, and request the court to issue a temporary restraining order or a temporary injunction enjoining the person named in the petition from removing the material in question from the jurisdiction of the court pending an adversary hearing on the petition.  If a temporary restraining order or, after notice, a temporary injunction is so issued, the person enjoined shall answer within the time set by the court, which time shall be set by the court at not more than sixty (60) days.  The adversary hearing on the petition shall be held within two (2) days after the joinder of issues.  At the conclusion of the hearing, or within two (2) days thereafter, the court will determine whether or not the material in question is in violation of §§ 39-17-1001--39-17-1005.  On a finding of a violation, the court shall grant a temporary injunction or continue its injunction in full force and effect for a period not to exceed forty-five (45) days or until an indictment on the matter has been submitted to the grand jury.  If forty-five (45) days elapse and the grand jury has taken no action, the injunction terminates.  The injunction also terminates on the grand jury returning a no true bill.  On the return of a true bill of indictment, the court shall order the material in question delivered into the hands of the court clerk or district attorney general, there to be held as evidence in the case.

Cite this article: - Tennessee Code Title 39. Criminal Offenses § 39-17-1006 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard