Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Each domestic or foreign registered limited liability company shall have a resident agent for service of process on the limited liability company who shall be either:
(1) An individual resident of this state; or
(2) A corporation, limited partnership, or limited liability company, and in each case either domestic or one authorized to transact business in this state.
(b)(1) A domestic or foreign registered limited liability company may change its resident agent or the address of its resident agent by filing with the secretary of state a statement signed by any authorized person which authorizes the change.
(2) A change of a resident agent or address of the resident agent for a domestic or foreign registered limited liability company under this subsection is effective when the secretary of state accepts the statement for filing.
(c)(1) A resident agent that changes address in the state shall file with the secretary of state a statement of the change of address signed by the resident agent or on the resident agent's behalf.
(2) The statement shall include:
(i) The name of the limited liability company for which the change is effective;
(ii) The old and new addresses of the resident agent; and
(iii) The date on which the change is effective.
(3) The change of address of the resident agent is effective when the secretary of state accepts the statement for filing.
(d)(1) A resident agent may resign by filing with the secretary of state a counterpart or photocopy of the signed resignation, together with a statement that the resignation has been delivered or sent to the limited liability company.
(2) Unless a later time is specified in the resignation, it is effective thirty (30) days after it is filed.
(e) The secretary of state is appointed the agent of the domestic limited liability company for service of process if no resident agent has been appointed, if the resident agent's authority has been revoked, or if the resident agent cannot be found or served following the exercise of reasonable diligence.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Rhode Island General Laws Title 7. Corporations, Associations, and Partnerships § 7-16-11. Resident agent - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ri/title-7-corporations-associations-and-partnerships/ri-gen-laws-sect-7-16-11/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.