Skip to main content

Rhode Island General Laws Title 34. Property § 34-13.1-5. Notice of claim filed within forty (40) year period

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Any person claiming an interest of any kind in land may preserve and keep effective that interest by recording, during the forty (40) year period immediately following the effective date of the root title of the person whose record title would otherwise be marketable, a notice in writing, duly verified by oath, setting forth the nature of the claim. No disability or lack of knowledge of any kind on the part of anyone suspends the running of the forty (40) year period. Such notice may be recorded by the claimant or by any other person acting on behalf of any claimant who is: (1) Under a disability (2) unable to assert a claim on his or her own behalf or (3) one of a class, but whose identity cannot be established or is uncertain at the time of filing such notice of claim record.

(b) If the same record owner of any possessory interest in land has been in possession of that land continuously for a period of forty (40) years or more, during which period no title transaction with respect to the interest appears of record in his or her chain of title and no notice has been recorded by him or her on his or her behalf as provided in subsection (a) of this section, and the possession continues to the time when marketability is being determined, that period of possession shall be deemed equivalent to the recording of the notice immediately preceding the termination of the forty (40) year period described in subsection (a) of this section.

Cite this article: - Rhode Island General Laws Title 34. Property § 34-13.1-5. Notice of claim filed within forty (40) year period - last updated January 01, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard