Skip to main content

Rhode Island General Laws Title 23. Health and Safety § 23-60-6. Disposal of used vehicle batteries

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) No person shall dispose of any vehicle battery within the state except by delivery of the same to a dealer, distributor, or manufacturer or the Rhode Island resource recovery corporation, or to a privately operated recycling facility within the state licensed by the director for that purpose or by delivery for transportation to an out-of-state recycling facility.

(b) When delivered to the resource recovery corporation for disposal, the corporation shall be paid a separate disposal fee at the time of delivery. This fee shall be set from time to time by the corporation to fully cover the cost of storage and transportation out of Rhode Island, or, if it is not feasible to transport out of Rhode Island, then the cost of recycling the materials of the battery and disposing of any residue.

(c) The department of environmental management shall provide a notice concerning the disposal of batteries to all retailers. The notice shall be 8.5 x 11 inches and all notices shall be of the same color, typeface, and type size. The notice shall include all of the following information: (1) it is illegal to dispose of a vehicle battery in a landfill or an incinerator; (2) vehicle batteries should be recycled; and (3) retailers must accept used vehicle batteries in trade. Retailers shall post this notice in a place where it can be readily observed by consumers.

Cite this article: - Rhode Island General Laws Title 23. Health and Safety § 23-60-6. Disposal of used vehicle batteries - last updated January 01, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard