Pennsylvania Statutes Title 68 P.S. Real and Personal Property § 250.503. Hearing;  judgment;  writ of possession;  payment of rent by tenant

(a) On the day and at the time appointed or on a day to which the case may be adjourned, the justice of the peace shall proceed to hear the case.  If it appears that the complaint has been sufficiently proven, the justice of the peace shall enter judgment against the tenant:

(1) that the real property be delivered up to the landlord;

(2) for damages, if any, for the unjust detention of the demised premises;  and

(3) for the amount of rent, if any, which remains due and unpaid.

(b) At the request of the landlord, the justice of the peace shall, after the fifth day after the rendition of the judgment, issue a writ of possession directed to the writ server, constable or sheriff, commanding him to deliver forthwith actual possession of the real property to the landlord and to levy the costs and amount of judgment for damages and rent, if any, on the tenant, in the same manner as judgments and costs are levied and collected on writs of execution.  This writ is to be served within no later than forty-eight hours and executed on the eleventh day following service upon the tenant of the leased premises.  Service of the writ of possession shall be served personally on the tenant by personal service or by posting the writ conspicuously on the leased premises.

(c) At any time before any writ of possession is actually executed, the tenant may, in any case for the recovery of possession solely because of failure to pay rent due, supersede and render the writ of no effect by paying to the writ server, constable or sheriff the rent actually in arrears and the costs.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.