Oregon Revised Statutes Water Resources: Irrigation, Drainage, Flood Control, Reclamation § 553.090
Search Oregon Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
A water control district formed under the provisions of this chapter has full power to carry out the objects of its creation and to that end may:
(1) Have and use a seal.
(2) Have perpetual succession.
(3) Sue and be sued in its own name.
(4) Acquire by condemnation, purchase, devise, gift or voluntary grant real and personal property or any interest therein, located inside or outside of the boundaries of the district.
(5) Enter into intergovernmental agreements under ORS chapter 190 for the construction, preservation, improvement, operation or maintenance of any works.
(6) Build, construct, purchase, improve, operate and maintain, subject to other applicable provisions of law, all works and improvements necessary or desirable under any engineering plan adopted by the district.
(7) Enter into contracts and employ agents, engineers and attorneys.
(8) Appropriate and acquire water and water rights and sell, lease and deliver water for irrigation and other purposes both inside and outside the district.
(9) Create special assessment districts, hereinafter referred to as subdistricts, for the purpose of levying assessments against lands benefited by works constructed by the district or ad valorem taxes on all taxable property within the subdistrict.
(10) Levy assessments against lands benefited by works constructed by the district or, in lieu of all assessments provided for by ORS 553.510 (2), (3) and (4), levy ad valorem taxes on all taxable property within the subdistrict in order to provide funds for the construction, purchase, improvement, operation or maintenance of such works.
(11) Borrow money and issue notes, bonds, and other indebtedness secured by mortgage liens, pledge of special assessments as provided in ORS 553.510, or pledge of other income or revenue of the district, or any combination thereof.
(12) In addition to or in lieu of the levy of assessments against the lands of the district, impose and collect service charges upon the owners or occupants of the property served by the works of the district and impose and collect user charges, fees and tolls for use of the works, facilities and services of the district.
(13) Do such other acts or things as may be necessary for the proper exercise of the powers herein granted.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Oregon Revised Statutes Water Resources: Irrigation, Drainage, Flood Control, Reclamation § 553.090 - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/or/title-45-water-resources-irrigation-drainage-flood-control-reclamation/or-rev-st-sect-553-090/
Was this helpful?