The Oregon Tourism Commission shall perform the following duties:
(1) Serve as a body to advise governmental bodies and agencies and private persons
on the development and implementation of state policies and programs relating to tourism
and recreation and to assist in the coordination of these activities.
(2) Advise the Governor and direct the executive director of the commission on all
matters pertaining to tourism.
(3) Prepare, approve and periodically revise and submit to the Governor, the Director
of the Oregon Business Development Department and tourism industry associations a
recommended comprehensive marketing plan for review by the Governor, the Director
of the Oregon Business Development Department and the tourism industry associations.
The comprehensive marketing plan shall be directed toward the accomplishment of at
least the following purposes:
(a) Maximizing the return on public and private investment in tourism.
(b) Encouraging longer stays by visitors to Oregon.
(c) Reducing seasonal fluctuations in travel and tourist related industries.
(d) Encouraging visitors to be destination oriented in this state by targeting high-yield
visitor segments that may include cultural tourism, agri-tourism, nature-based tourism
or sports and adventure tourism.
(e) Encouraging visitors from foreign countries to come to Oregon.
(f) Encouraging Oregonians to vacation in Oregon.
(4) Develop a biennial budget for all operations of the commission and submit the
budget to the Governor.
(5) Seek and receive the views of all levels of government and the private sector
with respect to state programs and policies for the promotion and assistance of tourism.
(6) Prepare and adopt administrative rules necessary for the operation of the programs
of the commission.
(7) Cooperate with educational institutions of the state in the development of educational
programs preparing persons for supporting and leadership positions critical to the
development of an economically strong and socially beneficial tourism industry in
(8) Cooperate with and provide expertise for communities and tourism marketing associations
in the development and promotion of their tourism attractions and businesses.
(9) Implement the comprehensive marketing plan described in subsection (3) of this
section and promote tourism in the State of Oregon.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.