Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(A) Either party to the marriage may file a complaint for divorce or for legal separation, and when filed the other may file a counterclaim for divorce or for legal separation. The court of common pleas may grant divorces for the causes set forth in section 3105.01 of the Revised Code. The court of common pleas may grant legal separation on a complaint or counterclaim, regardless of whether the parties are living separately at the time the complaint or counterclaim is filed, for the following causes:
(1) Either party had a husband or wife living at the time of the marriage from which legal separation is sought;
(2) Willful absence of the adverse party for one year;
(4) Extreme cruelty;
(5) Fraudulent contract;
(6) Any gross neglect of duty;
(7) Habitual drunkenness;
(8) Imprisonment of the adverse party in a state or federal correctional institution at the time of filing the complaint;
(9) On the application of either party, when husband and wife have, without interruption for one year, lived separate and apart without cohabitation;
(10) Incompatibility, unless denied by either party.
(B) The filing of a complaint or counterclaim for legal separation or the granting of a decree of legal separation under this section does not bar either party from filing a complaint or counterclaim for a divorce or annulment or obtaining a divorce or annulment.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Ohio Revised Code Title XXXI. Domestic Relations Children § 3105.17 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/oh/title-xxxi-domestic-relations-children/oh-rev-code-sect-3105-17/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.