Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The appropriation made to the department of youth services for care and custody of felony delinquents shall be expended in accordance with the following procedure that the department shall use for each year of a biennium. The procedure shall be consistent with sections 5139.41 to 5139.43 of the Revised Code and shall be developed in accordance with the following guidelines:
(A) The line item appropriation for the care and custody of felony delinquents shall provide funding for operational costs for the following:
(1) Institutions and the diagnosis, care, or treatment of felony delinquents at facilities pursuant to contracts entered into under section 5139.08 of the Revised Code;
(2) Community corrections facilities constructed, reconstructed, improved, or financed as described in section 5139.36 of the Revised Code for the purpose of providing alternative placement and services for felony delinquents who have been diverted from care and custody in institutions;
(3) County juvenile courts that administer programs and services for prevention, early intervention, diversion, treatment, and rehabilitation services and programs that are provided for alleged or adjudicated unruly or delinquent children or for children who are at risk of becoming unruly or delinquent children;
(4) Administrative expenses the department incurs in connection with the felony delinquent care and custody programs described in section 5139.43 of the Revised Code.
(B) From the appropriated line item for the care and custody of felony delinquents, the department, with the advice of the RECLAIM advisory committee established under section 5139.44 of the Revised Code, shall allocate annual operational funds for county juvenile programs, institutional care and custody, community corrections facilities care and custody, and administrative expenses incurred by the department associated with felony delinquent care and custody programs. The department, with the advice of the RECLAIM advisory committee, shall adjust these allocations, when modifications to this line item are made by legislative or executive action.
(C) The department shall divide county juvenile program allocations among county juvenile courts that administer programs and services for prevention, early intervention, diversion, treatment, and rehabilitation that are provided for alleged or adjudicated unruly or delinquent children or for children who are at risk of becoming unruly or delinquent children. The department shall base funding on the county's previous year's ratio of the department's institutional and community corrections facilities commitments to that county's average of felony adjudications, as specified in the following formula:
(1) The department shall give to each county a proportional allocation of commitment credits. The proportional allocation of commitment credits shall be calculated by the following procedures:
(a) The department shall determine for each county and for the state an average of felony adjudications. Beginning July 1, 2012, the average shall include felony adjudications for fiscal year 2007 and for each subsequent fiscal year through fiscal year 2016. Beginning July 1, 2017, the most recent felony adjudication data shall be included and the oldest fiscal year data shall be removed so that a ten-year average of felony adjudication data will be maintained.
(b) The department shall determine for each county and for the state the number of charged bed days, for both the department and community corrections facilities, from the previous year.
(c) The department shall divide the statewide total number of charged bed days by the statewide total number of felony adjudications, which quotient shall then be multiplied by a factor determined by the department.
(d) The department shall calculate the county's allocation of credits by multiplying the number of adjudications for each court by the result determined pursuant to division (C)(1)(c) of this section.
(2) The department shall subtract from the allocation determined pursuant to division (C)(1) of this section a credit for every chargeable bed day while a youth is in the department's custody and two-thirds of credit for every chargeable bed day a youth stays in a community corrections facility, except for public safety beds. At the end of the year, the department shall divide the amount of remaining credits of that county's allocation by the total number of remaining credits to all counties, to determine the county's percentage, which shall then be applied to the total county allocation to determine the county's payment for the fiscal year.
(3) The department shall pay counties three times during the fiscal year to allow for credit reporting and audit adjustments, and modifications to the appropriated line item for the care and custody of felony delinquents, as described in this section. The department shall pay fifty per cent of the payment by the fifteenth of July of each fiscal year, twenty-five per cent by the fifteenth of January of that fiscal year, and twenty-five per cent of the payment by the fifteenth of June of that fiscal year.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Ohio Revised Code Title LI. Public Welfare § 5139.41 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/oh/title-li-public-welfare/oh-rev-code-sect-5139-41/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.