Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. If the commissioner has reasonable grounds to believe that a person holding a license issued pursuant to this article is not qualified to drive a motor vehicle, the commissioner may require such person to submit to an examination to determine his qualifications.
2. The commissioner may require every person holding a license issued pursuant to this article to submit to such an examination as shall be determined by him to be appropriate if such person has been involved in three accidents while driving a motor vehicle or motorcycle within a period of eighteen months, if such accidents were required to be reported by section six hundred five of this chapter.
3. If the licensee satisfactorily passes any such examination, he shall be so informed and his license shall continue to be valid. If he fails to pass, the commissioner shall take such reasonable action as may be required. Such action may consist of imposing restrictions on the use of the license of such person, in suspending such license for a definite or indefinite period, or in revoking such license. If any such person fails after reasonable notice or refuses to submit to an examination, the commissioner may revoke his license or suspend it for an indefinite period solely because of such failure or refusal.
4. Any person holding a license issued pursuant to this chapter who suffers permanent loss of use of one or both hands or arms or of one or both feet or legs, or one eye shall, before operating any motor vehicle or motorcycle make report thereof to the commissioner, who shall take such reasonable action as may be proper under the provisions of this section.
5. Upon the permanent loss of use of both eyes a license issued under this article shall be null and void.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Vehicle and Traffic Law - VAT § 506. Reexamination of licensees - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-506/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.