Skip to main content

New York Consolidated Laws, Town Law - TWN § 323. Damages from other personal property

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

When any person shall be authorized to distrain inanimate goods or chattels doing damage, or whenever any logs, timbers, boards or plank, in rafts or otherwise, or other personal property shall have drifted upon his lands, he shall be entitled to the same remedies and shall proceed therein in the same manner and with the same powers as herein provided with respect to beasts found doing damage, so far as such provisions are applicable.  He must deliver his notice of lien to the town clerk, describing the property, within thirty days after it lodges upon his lands, and he shall keep the same in some convenient place without removal to a pound until the property is sold or reclaimed.  The same officer shall conduct proceedings therein as in proceedings where beasts are found doing damage, and all proceeds of sale shall be, in like manner, paid over and applied, subject to the same penalties and liabilities, and with the same force and effect.  The fee of the town clerk for filing and recording such notices of lien shall be one dollar and the charges of the land owner claiming such lien and delivering such notice to the town clerk, pursuant to this section, shall be at the rate of five cents for each such stray, but shall in no event exceed the sum of fifty dollars upon any one lien.  Any lien for logs, timber, boards or planks, in rafts or otherwise, filed herein may be discharged in the manner provided in sections nineteen and twenty of the lien law, with reference to the discharge of mechanics' liens, so far as such provisions are applicable.

Cite this article: - New York Consolidated Laws, Town Law - TWN § 323. Damages from other personal property - last updated January 01, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard