Skip to main content

New York Consolidated Laws, Social Services Law - SOS § 92. Deficiency appropriations

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. (a) Should the sums appropriated for medical assistance for needy persons, family assistance, or care and protection of children pursuant to article six of this chapter and their administration be expended or contracted or become exhausted during the year for the purposes for which they were appropriated, or should no appropriation have been made, additional sums shall be appropriated by the proper appropriating bodies, as occasion demands, to carry out the provisions of this chapter.

(b) In cities such additional sums if appropriated shall be paid from unexpended balances not required by law to be expended for a specific purpose, or from contingent funds when such exist.

(c) In counties, such additional appropriations shall be paid from funds in the county treasury available therefor, provided that such funds were raised by taxes levied in a territory identical with that in which such sums may be expended, and then only to the extent of any excess thereof not needed for other purposes under other provisions of this chapter.

(d) Nothing contained in this section, however, shall be construed to prevent the financing of such deficiency appropriations pursuant to the local finance law.

2. All the provisions of subdivision one in regard to cities shall be applicable to towns in Dutchess county, and, in every city or town thereof, except in the city of Poughkeepsie, the amount of such additional sums must first be approved by the county commissioner of public welfare by writing filed with the city or town clerk.

Cite this article: - New York Consolidated Laws, Social Services Law - SOS § 92. Deficiency appropriations - last updated January 01, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard