Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Emergency assistance for aged, blind and disabled persons with emergency needs which, if not met, would endanger the health, safety and welfare of such persons, is hereby declared to be a matter of state concern and a necessity in promoting the public health and welfare, until such time as the federal supplemental security income program is expanded to meet this federal responsibility. It is the purpose of this title to provide such assistance to eligible aged, blind and disabled persons who, in the circumstances specified in this title, have needs that cannot be met by the regular monthly benefit under the federal supplemental security income and additional state payments programs. All efforts should be undertaken by New York state's congressional delegation to secure such expansion of the federal program.
2. As used in this title, “aged, blind and disabled persons” means persons who have been determined to be eligible for or are receiving federal supplemental security income benefits and/or additional state payments.
3. As used in this title, the terms “emergency assistance” and “emergency assistance for aged, blind and disabled persons” mean payments to meet emergency needs specified in section three hundred three, made to or for the benefit of persons found to be eligible therefor, in accordance with this title and the regulations of the department.
4. As used in this title, “supplemental security income benefits” means payments made by the secretary of the federal department of health, education and welfare 1 to aged, blind and disabled persons pursuant to title sixteen of the social security act. 2
5. As used in this title, “additional state payments” means payments by social services districts or by the secretary of the federal department of health, education and welfare on behalf of the state, to aged, blind and disabled persons who are receiving, or who would but for their income be eligible to receive, federal supplemental security income benefits, made pursuant to title sixteen of the federal social security act, public law 93-66, and the provisions of this chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Social Services Law - SOS § 300. Declaration of purpose; definitions - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/social-services-law/sos-sect-300/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.