New York Consolidated Laws, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law - RPA § 761. Redemption by lessee

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Where the special proceeding is founded upon an allegation that a lessee holds over after a default in the payment of rent, and the unexpired term of the lease under which the premises are held exceeds five years at the time when the warrant is issued the lessee, his executor, administrator or assignee, at any time within one year after the execution of the warrant, unless by the terms of the lease such lessee shall have waived his right to redeem, or such lessee, executor, administrator or assignee shall have subsequently waived the right to redeem by a written instrument filed and recorded in the office in which the lease is recorded, or if not so recorded, in the office in which deeds are required to be recorded of the county in which the leased premises are located, may pay or tender to the petitioner, his heir, executor, administrator or assignee, or if, within five days before the expiration of the year he cannot be found with reasonable diligence within the city or town wherein the property or a portion thereof is situated, then to the court which issued the warrant, all rent in arrears at the time of the payment or tender with interest thereupon and the costs and charges incurred by the petitioner.  Thereupon the person making the payment or tender shall be entitled to the possession of the demised premises under the lease and may hold and enjoy the same according to the terms of the original demise, except as otherwise prescribed in section 765.

Cite this article: - New York Consolidated Laws, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law - RPA § 761. Redemption by lessee - last updated January 01, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard