The commissioner shall have the following powers and duties:
1. to promulgate regulations defining and restricting the duties which may be assigned
to specialist assistants, the degree of supervision required and the manner in which
such duties may be performed;
2. to promulgate regulations establishing such different medical specialties for which
specialist assistants may be registered by the education department pursuant to section sixty-five hundred forty-eight of the education law as will most effectively increase the quality of medical care available in this state;
provided, however, that no category of specialist assistant shall be established:
(a) for areas in which allied health professions are licensed pursuant to the education
law or this chapter; or (b) relating to the practice of surgery or practice in the
intensive care unit of any general hospital, as defined pursuant to article twenty-eight
of this chapter.
3. to conduct and support continuing studies respecting the nature and scope of the
duties of specialist assistants in order to promote their effective functioning as
members of the health care team;
4. to determine the desirability of and to establish rules for requiring continuing
education of specialist assistants;
5. to furnish the education department with suggested criteria which may be used by
the education department to help determine the education and training requirements
for a specialist assistant;
6. to adopt such other rules and regulations as may be necessary or appropriate to
carry out the purposes of this article.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.