Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In addition to the designation of the secretary of state, each domestic limited liability company or authorized foreign limited liability company may designate a registered agent upon whom process against the limited liability company may be served.
(b) The agent must be either:
(1) a natural person who is a resident of this state or has a business address in this state;
(2) a domestic limited liability company or an authorized foreign limited liability company; or
(3) a domestic corporation or a foreign corporation authorized to do business in this state.
(c) Repealed by L.1999, c. 172, § 19, eff. July 6, 1999.
(d) The registered agent of a limited liability company may resign as such agent. The registered agent shall file a certificate with the department of state entitled “Certificate of resignation of registered agent of... (name of limited liability company) under subdivision (d) of section three hundred two of the Limited Liability Company Law” and executed by such registered agent. Such certificate shall set forth:
(1) the name of the limited liability company, and if it has been changed, the name under which it was formed. With respect to a foreign limited liability company, there shall be set forth its name and, if applicable, the fictitious name the foreign limited liability company has agreed to use in this state pursuant to section eight hundred two of this chapter;
(2) the date the articles of organization or application for authority was filed by the department of state;
(3) that he or she resigns as registered agent of the limited liability company; and
(4) that he or she has sent a copy of the certificate of resignation by registered mail to the limited liability company at the post office address on file with the department of state specified for the mailing of process or, if such address is the address of the registered agent, to the office of the limited liability company in the jurisdiction of its formation.
(e) The designation of a registered agent shall terminate thirty days after the filing with the department of state of the certificate of resignation. A certificate designating a new registered agent may be delivered to the department of state by the limited liability company within the thirty days or thereafter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Limited Liability Company Law - LLC § 302. Registered agent for service of process - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/limited-liability-company-law/llc-sect-302/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.