Skip to main content

New York Consolidated Laws, General Obligations Law - GOB § 5-1709. Enforcement

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) In addition to the other remedies provided, whenever there shall be a violation of this title, application may be made by the attorney general in the name of the people of the state of New York to a court of competent jurisdiction by a special proceeding to issue an injunction, and upon notice to the defendant of not less than five days, to enjoin and restrain the continuance of such violations;  and if it shall appear to the satisfaction of the court or justice that the defendant has, in fact, violated this title, an injunction may be issued by such court or justice, enjoining and restraining any further violation, without requiring proof that any person has, in fact, been injured or damaged thereby.  In any such proceedings, the court may make allowances to the attorney general as provided in paragraph six of subdivision (a) of section eighty-three hundred three of the civil practice law and rules, and direct restitution.  Whenever the court shall determine that a violation of this title has occurred, the court may impose a civil penalty of not more than one thousand dollars for each violation.  In connection with any such proposed application, the attorney general is authorized to take proof and make a determination of the relevant facts and to issue subpoenas in accordance with the civil practice law and rules.

(b) Any payee injured by a violation of this title may bring an action for the recovery of damages. The court may award reasonable attorney's fees to the prevailing plaintiff.

Cite this article: - New York Consolidated Laws, General Obligations Law - GOB § 5-1709. Enforcement - last updated January 01, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard