New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 7206-a. Requirements for a license as a professional land surveyor
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search New York Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. To qualify for a license as a professional land surveyor, an applicant shall fulfill the following requirements:
(1) Application: file an application with the department;
(2) Education: have received an education, including a bachelor's or higher degree based on a program in land surveying, in accordance with the commissioner's regulations;
(3) Experience: (a) If the applicant has a bachelor's or higher degree, have at least four years in work satisfactory to the board, provided that the board may accept study beyond the bachelor's degree in partial fulfillment of this requirement; or (b) If the applicant has an associate's degree, have at least six years in work satisfactory to the board provided that the board may accept study beyond the associate's degree in partial fulfillment of this requirement;
(4) Examination: pass an examination satisfactory to the board and in accordance with the commissioner's regulations;
(5) Age: be at least twenty-one years of age;
(6) Citizenship or immigration status: be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States;
(7) Character: be of good moral character as determined by the department; and
(8) Fees: pay a fee of two hundred twenty dollars to the department for admission to a department conducted examination and for an initial license, a fee of one hundred fifteen dollars for each reexamination, a fee of one hundred thirty-five dollars for an initial license for persons not requiring admission to department conducted examination, and a fee of two hundred ten dollars for each triennial registration period.
2. In lieu of the degree and experience requirements specified in subparagraphs (2) and (3) of subdivision one of this section, eight years of practical experience in work satisfactory to the board may be accepted, provided that each full year of college study in engineering or land surveying satisfactory to the department may at the discretion of the board be accepted in lieu of one year of the required eight years of experience.
3. For an identification card as an “intern land surveyor”, an applicant shall fulfill the requirements of subdivision one of this section, except those in subparagraphs (3) and (5), provided that admission to the examination may be given when the applicant is within twenty credits of the completion of the requirements for the bachelor's or higher degree as prescribed in subparagraph (2) of subdivision one, or has completed the practical experience requirement of subdivision two of this section. The fee for examination and identification card as an “intern land surveyor” shall be seventy dollars and the fee for each reexamination shall be seventy dollars.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 7206-a. Requirements for a license as a professional land surveyor - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/education-law/edn-sect-7206-a/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?