New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 3650-a. State comprehensive school bus driver safety training council
Search New York Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. There is hereby created and established in the department of education a council, to be known as the state comprehensive school bus driver safety training council. The council shall advise and assist the commissioner in the development and updating of the school bus driver safety training program and such other related matters as the council and commissioner shall deem appropriate. Such council shall consist of the commissioner of education as chair, the superintendent of state police, the commissioner of transportation and the commissioner of motor vehicles and eight other members to be appointed by the governor including the following:
a. Two members to be appointed upon the recommendation of the speaker of the assembly.
b. Two members to be appointed upon the recommendation of the temporary president of the senate.
c. One member to be appointed upon the recommendation of the minority leader of the assembly.
d. One member to be appointed upon the recommendation of the minority leader of the senate.
2. The members of the council, other than the ex officio members, shall serve for terms of two years. Such terms shall coincide with the election of the members of the state legislature and shall commence on the fifteenth day of January. Vacancies shall be filled for unexpired terms in the same manner as the original appointments.
3. The council shall meet at least semi-annually at the call of the chair. Additional meetings may be called upon at least five days notice by the chair or by petition of five members of the council.
4. No member of the council shall be disqualified from holding any other public office, nor shall employment be forfeited by reason of the member's appointment hereunder, notwithstanding the provisions of any general, special or local law, ordinance, county or city charter.
5. Each member of the council shall receive reimbursement for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
6. The council shall, during its first year, consider and may make recommendations on the following issues:
a. inclement weather procedures;
b. emergency school bus evacuation techniques;
c. safety equipment training;
d. promotion of public safety;
e. unauthorized boarding of buses; and
f. services for students with disabilities.
7. The council shall make, on or before January first of each year, an annual report of its activities and such recommendations as it may deem appropriate to the board of regents concerning school bus driver safety training programs.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 3650-a. State comprehensive school bus driver safety training council - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/education-law/edn-sect-3650-a/
Was this helpful?