New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 2015. Register to be filed; addition to and correction of register; challenges
Search New York Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. The register prepared as provided in section two thousand fourteen of this chapter shall, immediately upon its completion and not less than five days prior to the time set for the school meeting or election at which it is to be used, be filed in the office of the clerk of the district, and thereafter shall at all reasonable times be open to inspection by any qualified voter of such school district on each day up to and including the day set for the meeting or election, except Sundays.
2. The name of no voter may be placed upon a register unless such voter appears before the board of registration except if a qualified voter is a resident of a school district and his name appears on a register as a resident of another district, a written sworn statement may be filed by such voter with the clerk of the district showing his correct residence and the name of such voter shall thereupon be stricken from such register and placed upon the proper register.
3. A qualified voter may, upon the examination of such list, file a written challenge of the qualifications as a voter of any person whose name appears on such list.
4. Statements and challenges shall be received and preserved by the clerk of the district or other person designated by the board of education, and immediately upon receiving any such sworn statement of a voter, applying to have his name placed upon the register or any challenge as to a name already thereon, the clerk shall file such statement or challenge or copy thereof, with the register and hold the same open for inspection by any qualified voter of the district. Upon the face of such statement or challenge, the clerk shall write clearly what action was taken with reference thereto, immediately upon such action being taken.
5. The clerk of the district shall cause a copy of the register of such school district to be delivered on the day of the meeting or election before the opening of the polls to the inspectors of election at each voting place within the district at the place or places where the meeting or election is to be held. If there be not more than one voting place, the clerk shall produce the register at the place of the meeting or election, at the opening thereof. The inspectors of election at each voting place shall indicate on the copy of the register delivered to them, and opposite the name of each person so registered, whether each such person did vote in such election or at such meeting.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 2015. Register to be filed; addition to and correction of register; challenges - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/education-law/edn-sect-2015/
Was this helpful?