Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. The State Board of Health shall adopt regulations governing examinations and tests required for the discovery in infants of preventable or inheritable disorders, including tests for the presence of sickle cell disease and its variants and sickle cell trait.
2. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the examinations and tests required pursuant to subsection 1 must include tests and examinations for each disorder recommended to be screened by the Health Resources and Services Administration of the United States Department of Health and Human Services by not later than 4 years after the recommendation is published. The State Board may exclude any such disorder upon request of the Chief Medical Officer or the person in charge of the State Public Health Laboratory based on:
(a) Insufficient funding to conduct testing for the disorder; or
(b) Insufficient resources to address the results of the examination and test.
3. Any examination or test required by the regulations adopted pursuant to subsection 1 which must be performed by a laboratory must be sent to the State Public Health Laboratory. If the State Public Health Laboratory increases the amount charged for performing such an examination or test pursuant to NRS 439.240, the Division shall hold a public hearing during which the State Public Health Laboratory shall provide to the Division a written and verbal fiscal analysis of the reasons for the increased charges.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 7, the regulations adopted pursuant to paragraph (a) of subsection 1 concerning tests for the presence of sickle cell disease and its variants and sickle cell trait must require the screening for sickle cell disease and its variants and sickle cell trait of:
(a) Each newborn child who is susceptible to sickle cell disease and its variants and sickle cell trait as determined by regulations of the State Board of Health; and
(b) Each biological parent of a child who wishes to undergo such screening.
5. Any physician, midwife, nurse, obstetric center or hospital of any nature attending or assisting in any way any infant, or the mother of any infant, at childbirth shall:
(a) Make or cause to be made an examination of the infant, including standard tests that do not require laboratory services, to the extent required by regulations of the State Board of Health as is necessary for the discovery of conditions indicating such preventable or inheritable disorders.
(b) Collect and send to the State Public Health Laboratory or cause to be collected and sent to the State Public Health Laboratory any specimens needed for the examinations and tests that must be performed by a laboratory and are required by the regulations adopted pursuant to subsection 1.
6. If the examination and tests reveal the existence of such conditions in an infant, the physician, midwife, nurse, obstetric center or hospital attending or assisting at the birth of the infant shall immediately:
(a) Report the condition to the Chief Medical Officer or the representative of the Chief Medical Officer, the local health officer of the county or city within which the infant or the mother of the infant resides, and the local health officer of the county or city in which the child is born; and
(b) Discuss the condition with the parent, parents or other persons responsible for the care of the infant and inform them of the treatment necessary for the amelioration of the condition.
7. An infant is exempt from examination and testing if either parent files a written objection with the person or institution responsible for making the examination or tests.
8. As used in this section, “sickle cell disease and its variants” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 439.4927.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 40. Public Health and Safety § 442.008. Examination of infants: Regulations; performance of tests by State Public Health Laboratory; duties of physician, midwife, nurse, obstetric center or hospital; exemption - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-40-public-health-and-safety/nv-rev-st-442-008/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?