Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 6, each member of a public body who attends a meeting of that public body where any violation of this chapter occurs, has knowledge of the violation and participates in the violation, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
2. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 6, wrongful exclusion of any person or persons from a meeting is a misdemeanor.
3. A member of a public body who attends a meeting of that public body at which a violation of this chapter occurs is not the accomplice of any other member so attending.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 6, in addition to any criminal penalty imposed pursuant to this section, each member of a public body who attends a meeting of that public body where any violation of this chapter occurs and who participates in such violation with knowledge of the violation, is subject to an administrative fine in an amount not to exceed:
(a) For a first offense, $500;
(b) For a second offense, $1,000; and
(c) For a third or subsequent offense, $2,500.
5. The Attorney General may recover the penalty in a civil action brought in the name of the State of Nevada in any court of competent jurisdiction. Such an action must be commenced within 1 year after the fine is assessed.
6. No criminal penalty or administrative fine may be imposed upon a member of a public body pursuant to this section if a member of a public body violates a provision of this chapter as a result of legal advice provided by an attorney employed or retained by the public body.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 19. Miscellaneous Matters Related to Government and Public Affairs § 241.040. Criminal and civil penalties; members attending meeting in violation of chapter not accomplices; reliance on legal advice - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-19-miscellaneous-matters-related-to-government-and-public-affairs/nv-rev-st-241-040/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.