Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.2548, an unlicensed person shall not sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person unless a licensed dealer first conducts a background check on the buyer or transferee in compliance with this section.
2. The seller or transferor and buyer or transferee shall appear jointly with the firearm and request that a licensed dealer conduct a background check on the buyer or transferee.
3. A licensed dealer who agrees to conduct a background check pursuant to this section shall comply with all requirements of federal and state law as though the licensed dealer were selling or transferring the firearm from his or her own inventory to the buyer or transferee, including, but not limited to, all recordkeeping requirements. For the purpose of determining whether the buyer or transferee is eligible to purchase and possess firearms under state and federal law, the licensed dealer shall contact the same agency as though the licensed dealer were selling or transferring the firearm from his or her own inventory to the buyer or transferee.
4. Upon receiving a request for a background check from a licensed dealer pursuant to this section, the Central Repository or any other state or local agency described in subsection 3 shall, in the same manner as it would for the sale of a firearm from the licensed dealer's inventory, perform a background check on the buyer or transferee and notify the licensed dealer of the results of the background check.
5. The seller or transferor may remove the firearm from the business premises while the background check is being conducted if, before the seller or transferor sells or transfers the firearm to the buyer or transferee, the seller or transferor and the buyer or transferee return to the licensed dealer who takes possession of the firearm to complete the sale or transfer.
6. A licensed dealer who agrees to conduct a background check pursuant to this section shall inform the seller or transferor and the buyer or transferee of the response from the agency described in subsection 3. If the response indicates that the buyer or transferee is ineligible to purchase or possess the firearm, the licensed dealer shall return the firearm to the seller or transferor and the seller or transferor shall not sell or transfer the firearm to the buyer or transferee.
7. A licensed dealer may charge a reasonable fee for conducting a background check and facilitating a firearm transfer between unlicensed persons pursuant to this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 15. Crimes and Punishments § 202.2547. Background check required for certain sales or transfers of firearms between unlicensed persons; procedure - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-15-crimes-and-punishments/nv-rev-st-202-2547/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.