Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who:
(a) Is 25 years of age or older;
(b) Is in a position of authority as an employee or contractor of or volunteer for an entity which provides services to children; and
(c) Engages in sexual conduct with a person who is 16 years of age or older but less than 18 years of age and:
(1) Who is under the care, custody, control or supervision of the entity at which the person is employed or volunteering or of which the person is a contractor; and
(2) With whom the person has had contact in the course of performing his or her duties as an employee, contractor or volunteer,
is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
2. The provisions of this section do not apply to a person who is an employee or contractor of or volunteer for an entity which provides services to children and who is married to the person under the care, custody, control or supervision of the entity at the time an act prohibited by this section is committed.
3. A person convicted pursuant to this section is not subject to the registration or community notification requirements of chapter 179D of NRS.
4. As used in this section:
(a) “Agency which provides child welfare services” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 432B.030.
(b) “Department of juvenile justice services” means:
(1) In a county whose population is less than 100,000, the probation department of the juvenile court established pursuant to NRS 62G.010 to 62G.070, inclusive;
(2) In a county whose population is 100,000 or more but less than 700,000, the department of juvenile services established pursuant to NRS 62G.100 to 62G.170, inclusive; and
(3) In a county whose population is 700,000 or more, the department of juvenile justice services established by ordinance pursuant to NRS 62G.210 or, if a department of juvenile justice services has not been established by ordinance pursuant to NRS 62G.210, the department of juvenile justice services established pursuant to NRS 62G.300 to 62G.370, inclusive.
(c) “Entity which provides services to children” means:
(1) An agency which provides child welfare services;
(2) A department of juvenile justice services;
(3) A foster home; or
(4) The Youth Parole Bureau.
(d) “Foster home” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 424.014.
(e) “Youth Parole Bureau” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 62A.350.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 15. Crimes and Punishments § 201.555. Sexual conduct between certain employees or contractors of or volunteers for entity providing services to children and children under care, custody, control or supervision of entity: Penalty; exception - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-15-crimes-and-punishments/nv-rev-st-201-555/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.