Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
A. The legislature finds that agencies should:
(1) be granted sufficient statutory authority and flexibility to use their resources in the best possible way in order to better serve the citizens of New Mexico through the efficient delivery of services and products and the effective administration of governmental programs;
(2) be held accountable for the services and products they deliver in accordance with clearly defined missions, goals and objectives;
(3) develop performance measures for evaluating performance and assessing progress in achieving goals and objectives, and those measures should be integrated into the planning and budgeting process and maintained on an ongoing basis;
(4) have incentives to deliver services and products in the most efficient and effective manner and, if appropriate, recommend the restructuring of ineffective programs or the elimination of unnecessary programs;
(5) have their performance in achieving desired outputs and outcomes and in efficiently operating programs measured and evaluated in an effort to improve program coordination, eliminate duplicate programs or activities and provide better information to the governor, the legislature and the public; and
(6) strive to keep the citizens of this state informed of the public benefits derived from the delivery of agency services and products and of the progress agencies are making with regard to improving performance.
B. The purpose of the Accountability in Government Act is to provide for more cost-effective and responsive government services by using the state budget process and defined outputs, outcomes and performance measures to annually evaluate the performance of state government programs.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Mexico Statutes Chapter 6. Public Finances § 6-3A-2. Findings and purpose - last updated May 06, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nm/chapter-6-public-finances/nm-st-sect-6-3a-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.