New Mexico Statutes Chapter 47. Property Law § 47-8-23. Application of rules or regulations

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

An owner, from time to time, may adopt rules or regulations, however described, concerning the resident's use and occupancy of the premises.  They are enforceable as provided in Section 47-8-33 NMSA 1978 against the resident only if:

A. their purpose is to promote the appearance, convenience, safety or welfare of the residents in the premises, preserve the owner's property from abusive use or make a fair distribution of services and facilities held out for the residents generally;

B. they are reasonably related to the purpose for which they are adopted;

C. they apply to all residents in the premises in a fair manner;

D. they are sufficiently explicit in their prohibition, direction or limitation of the resident's conduct to fairly inform him of what he must or must not do to comply;

E. they are not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the owner;  and

F. the resident is presented with copies of existing rules and regulations at the time he enters into the rental agreement and is presented notice of amendments to the rules and regulations and rules and regulations adopted subsequent to the time he enters into the rental agreement.  A rule or regulation adopted after the resident enters into the rental agreement is enforceable against the resident if reasonable notice of its adoption is given to the resident and it does not work a substantial modification of his bargain.

Cite this article: - New Mexico Statutes Chapter 47. Property Law § 47-8-23. Application of rules or regulations - last updated May 06, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard